District Special Branch
The District Special Branch is headed by a Deputy Superintendent of Police. Verification of antecedents of persons selected to Government Services and passport verification are done in District Special branch. Special Branch Control Room functions round the clock. Intelligence gathering is handled by this wing.
Kasaragod District was formed on May 24, 1984. Shri.A.I.Netto Desmond IPS took charge as the District Superintendent of Police on August 3rd 1984. However the District Special Branch started functioning on 01/09/1984. Shri.P.Krishnan Nair, Deputy Superintendent of Police was in charge of the District Special Branch, Kasaragod from 01/09/1984 to 23/10/1985. At the beginning there was a sanctioned strength of one DySP, one SI, one ASI, seven SCPOs and three CPOs. Later, the same was enhanced to 1 DySP, 2 SIs, 3 ASIs, 17 SCPOs and 3 CPOs. There are 16 Police Stations, 1 coastal PS and 1 traffic police station in this district. A special staff of plain clothes men designated the District Special Branch staff deployed for District Police jurisdiction for collect and supply information on all political and communal matters and on all activities affecting or likely to affect law and order or security.
District Special Branch covers the following
- Political movements and associations and their activities;
- Religious and communal activities
- Labour Unions
- Volunteer organizations
- Youth movements including Students Associations
- Suspicious activities of foreigners
- Anti-national activities likely to affect the safety and security of the state
- Social and economic matters having political significance
- Collection of information
- Special reports
- Verification of character and antecedents.
- Security schemes
- Protection of VIPs
- Persons whose movements are to be watched
- Enquires relating to foreigners.
- Newspapers, pamphlets, publications, proscribed literature etc.